The good news is that we got Plover working beautifully on my Python tutor's Ubuntu machine. Both the Sidewinder X4 and the Revolution Grand. Outputting to file and making corrections to the file with the asterisk. It was great. We high-fived. He left.
The bad news is that when I downloaded the files, changed "Tkinter" to "tkinter" (as far as I know the only change that needs to be made between versions besides switching it to my com port, which I also did), and tried to run them on my Windows XP machine... No dice. The Sidewinder version is giving me "IOError: can't do nonzero cur-relative seeks" and the Gemini PR version is giving me "TypeError: sequence item 0: expected str instance, int found". I don't understand! Everything is the same, and it was working so gloriously before. I am baffled and disheartened. But hopefully, if my tutor has the time, we'll be able to figure out what's going on and fix this together on Monday. And my tester has Fedora, so maybe it'll work on her machine even though it's currently b0rked on mine. Sigh.